The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child receive an orthodontic evaluation by age 7. Regular dental check-ups are critical because they provide an opportunity for a dental professional to spot small problems before they become big ones. During a routine examination, Dr. Joseph Basile will determine if your child’s jaws are growing properly or at the same rate. Many parents think they do not need to have younger children examined unless their child’s dentist makes a referral.
General dentists do not often look for the same problems that we do. The specialty of orthodontics is complex. If your child has any of the following symptoms, a more detailed orthodontic examination may be necessary:
- Abnormal bite relationship (teeth that do not match up well when biting).
- Baby teeth lost too early or too late.
- Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth.
- Breathing through the mouth excessively (rather than through the nose).
- Disproportionate tooth or jaw size.
- Problems when biting down or chewing food.
- Teeth that are crowded, missing, or in the incorrect location.
Early evaluations provide the opportunity for early detection of problems and greater possibility for more effective treatment. The advantages of early orthodontic treatment include:
- Avoiding impacted teeth.
- Preserving or creating space for newly erupted or future erupting teeth.
- Influencing jaw growth to promote facial symmetry.
- Guiding erupting teeth and jaws into their correct positions, preventing later problems.
- Reducing the need for tooth removal.
- Avoiding soft tissue or palate injuries from protruding teeth.
- Reducing the chances of accidental chipping or other trauma that comes from protruding teeth.
- Improving the ability to brush and floss properly, thus helping to decrease tooth decay or gum disease.
- Correcting bad habits such as thumb or finger sucking.
- Potentially reducing time with braces.
- Potentially preventing the need for more costly and lengthy orthodontic treatments later in life.
Our team at Orthodontic Specialists, P.A. looks forward to providing early orthodontic care in Minnesota, to all of your children. Please call 952-469-6760 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Basile at one of our convenient locations in Eagan, Lakeville, and Prior Lake, Minnesota.